Thursday 31 July 2014

29 July 2014

This morning started out early again with the sun coming up it was good to see what I had not been able to see the night before as it was dark when I arrived. The place was just the same as most of the other Roadhouses and the accommodation block like most of the dongas I have seen on the trip. I guess the main difference here is that they have an plane for senic flights over the Bight. .



The sun rise was great and the plains just stretched away in the morning light, really is a vast area





 First up I headed to the Head of Bight Visitor centre and was the first one there for the day, they have a viewing platform over the Bight and from here you can watch the humpback whales who are visiting the warmer waters for the winter. I really don't have the lenses to do the experience justice as they were still a fair distance away and they were fairly slow in the morning sun, probably waiting to warm up a bit. The Bunda Cliffs at the Head are mighty impressive too, again the very edge of Australia.






Back on the road, as there is a heck of a long way to go, it was on and on until arriving in Ceduna at the other side of the plains. It is a long way over the middle there, 1200km from Norseman to Ceduna, and I have to say that I was surprised that although I have ready lots of tourist brochures etc about the places along the way I always thought that these places were towns, all the brochures read like they are towns, but from Norseman to Ceduna there are only roadhouses with motels and bars and campgrounds, but not towns, shows how little I know doesn't it. I didn't actually see a lot of Ceduna but it is another nice clean and neat little place, lots of people around and a lot going on, looks like a nice place to visit on a short visit. I spent most of my time there trying to get the headlights working properly yet again, but failed, oh well so it goes.







It was then back on the road again and heading on for the ultimate goal of Adelaide. It was getting late and was dark by the time I passed through Kimba, which is another small town, though as with most of the small towns along the road in South Australia you actually have to turn off the highway to get to them or just stay on the highway and you just get another roadhouse and continue on, which is what I did so I didn't see anything of Kimba in the dark, well nothing other than the big Galah.


I decided that it was too late to be carrying on with only one and a half headlights and everyone seeming to think I was on high beam, so I gave up after 470km and stayed at Port Augusta for the night, have to have a look about tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...