Monday 14 July 2014

13 July 2013

Well today didn't start as early as it should have, just could not get things together so by the time I checked the Count's levels etc and got underway it was already 10 to 8 in the morning. Today was always going to be a long drive as I needed to actually do about 1000 kilometres to get to Broome where I wanted to be, but that was dropped to a slightly more realistic target of about 600 to get to Fitzroy Crossing, and in the end I made it to neither.

I decided that as the road just went straight ahead to Wyndham and I actually had to turn off to go to Fitzroy Crossing and since I actually wanted to go and have a look at Wyndham anyway that I would just go there first as it was only 55 kilometres, only problem is that it is 55 then back to the junction too, oops. Wyndham is an interesting little place, sort of in two sections the town and then the road traverses some tidal flats out to the town part two or Wyndham Port, which seems to have more going on than the town itself does. Certainly a sleepy little place on a weekend, though the Rusty Shed Cafe seemed to be going off.

 I am not sure if it is the time of year or what, but I seem to be along after the burn off in most places, everything is burnt, everywhere

 Photo op on the way to Wyndham, love the colour contrasts

 Main street Port of Wyndham looking out to the harbour

 Main street Port of Wyndham, looking back in the other half of towns direction

 Historical Museum, was closed but looking quite "historical" itself.

 Public fishing jetty, thinking Council would have been better spending money on some of the roads.

 Looking back at Port side of town from the Public jetty.


 Main street of the town of Wyndham, there is a little more over the "crest".

 Wyndham has a Big Croc!

Well Wyndham visited it was back the 55 kilometres again to the junction to head for Halls Creek and from there to Fitzroy Crossing. The clouds had been hanging about since this morning in Kununurra, but heading for halls creek I got a few funny moisture bubbles, not used to grey clouds let alone moisture bubbles, hitting the windscreen then nothing more. So pressing on I reached the Doon Doon Roadhouse and decided to fill up the tank as the mornings extra excursion had used up what I had, grey clouds still hanging about. Doon Doon has a Cane Toad "bank" where you can deposit the nasty little blighters if you happen to find them in WA so as to ensure they don't get a strangle hold here as well as most of the rest of the country, I have seen one before somewhere, but still it is amusing, well I think so anyway.

Doon Doon Roadhhouse, nice clean place, friendly staff and interesting range of items for sale too.

Cane Toad "Bank", I wonder why not dead ones, surely they are just going to kill them anyway.

It was then on to Halls Creek, though before I even got near the place the grey skies had darkened and the moisture bubbles just gave up the pretending and just started pelting down as full on rain (and I thought I had left this behind in Melbourne). I had the lights on and the wipers going the rest of the way into Halls Creek, where I filled up again and the went to the tourist information place for a look. Strange tourist information place, I didn't actually find a brochure for anywhere or and tours, it was all just things for sale. Halls Creek was a lot bigger that I expected, even has a huge leisure centre, but was very quiet, probably due to the rain,


 Halls Creek main street looking back in the direction I'd driven in to town.



Main street, towards my onward journey.

Leaving town heading 290km for Fitzroy Crossing and the rain kept at it for a while, though the further I went the more it started to slow. I stopped for a break once it had stopped raining all together in some non exciting road side parking space and when I got back in the car and started off it wasn't long before I could smell a burning electrical scent coming from somewhere, which I quickly figured was the headlight switch as it was hot to the touch. Thankfully the weather had cleared up a bit now and I was able to run with just the parking lights on, which was fine, though if I turned the headlights on for long the switch would heat up again, and I was still 140 kilometres from Fitzroy Crossing with darkness rapidly closing in. Luckily I managed to make it to a larger parking area with it's night load of free camping Grey Nomads and found a place to set up for the night, 88 kilometres from Fitzroy Crossing, so over all not a bad days effort in distance...

No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...