Monday 14 July 2014

14 July 2014

Ok, where yesterday started out more slowly than planned, today started much earlier then planned and it was before the sun cam up when I woke and decided to get moving, I am sure much the annoyance of the Nomads around me. There were a few clouds around though nothing much really.

I actually thought it was darker but this is what the camera got, that's the moon up there.

Once the sun did make the effort to join us it was quite something else 




From this point it was check the levels again in the Count and hit the road for the last hour run into Fitzroy Crossing. I filled up and tried to decide if I should wait until the tourist office to open, just to see what may be around, though while waiting I did a drive around town and decided better to get moving . It seems a tidy enough little place, though nothing happening here in the early morning.

Next up 257km into Derby, which is quite a lot larger that I had imagined, I was expecting more Halls Creek size, and the main part of the street was pretty enough and looked promising. I went into the tourist office and they gave me some information anyway and off I went to see what I could see. Oh I forgot to mention that on the way into town I turned off to see the prison Boab, yes a hollow living Boab that had actually been used as a cell, but due to the road being red dirt and the rain of the day before and the ruts left by the 4x4 Nomads dragging their 35 foot trailers through I decided that the risk of sinking to my axles to see an old tree probably was not high on my list of today's activities. The main street looked as I said earlier and the jetty is a horseshoe shaped one, so drive in one way and just keep going. Tidal variation here is up to 12 metres, which is the largest in the southen hemisphere, though the water would have left any Melburnian demanding justice for the slander against our Yarra River, you have not seen muddy water until this, I reckon you could almost turn a pot from a bucket full of this stuff. I then took a drive back through the main shopping strip, lots of people just milling about both aimlessly and drunkenly, all of the shops with heavy security grills on doors and windows, camera put well away, certainly not how the main street was portraying things. Ok, enough seen, time to leave.

 Nice tidy looking main street.


 Healthiest looking Boab in the region is in front of the Shire office 

 Derby Wharf, double ended, you can do laps if you like, cause you wouldn't want to in the water.
 You could almost carve the water.

Final push for the day, 222km into Broome. It was just one of those days where everything seemed to take sooooooooooo long, someone kept moving the place further away I think. Finally reached here though and found the Van park, a short stroll from Cable beach, but a fair hike from town, so once the tent was up (and here is a trick, use gal corrugated iron roofing nails to pin the tent down as tent pegs won't make a dent this ground) it was a drive into town to try and get the tourist office before they closed, nope. Then a quick drive about a few streets looking for the supermarket, quick shop for dinner and urgent need to get back before the dark as can't use headlights and drat and bother, would you look at the sunset at cable beach over there, where I am not! Oh well I got the post sunset pictures of Cable beach



I additionally, unfortunately didn't get to the Stairway to the Moon either, as Lucas really is the Prince of Darkness at the moment. Really must look into tours in the morning, and get some relays to fix those headlights for tomorrow night and hopefully there will be no cloud again, please...

No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...