Tuesday 22 July 2014

19 July 2014

Today started early for the drive out to the World Heritage area to see the dolphins that come in to be fed at Monkey Mia Reserve, the bad part is that it is one way in and one way out from there and it is about 150 kilometres each way.

What a silly place to put a light post.

Off into the area and there was very little traffic which was great, the road in good repair and quite flat which was great for the Count, well it was flat for about 40 kilometres, then it started to get slightly more of and up and down hill thing going on and that was somewhat testing on the already fragile clutch. The going down the hills was fine but the going up them was a test in the poor car, if you tried to add any power at all the clutch would just start to slip, so it was a case of as the car slowed you had to decelerate to the point that it would keep going without slipping, managed to get good at knowing where this was. There were a few side tracks along the way so I stopped at one of the lookouts to rest the car and clutch.





Then off again with the same decelerating method until finally made it into Denham (Shark Bay) which is a very nice tidy little town that really has great presence along the main street and the foreshore area, all of these small towns along the coast so far have been certainly plowing money into doing themselves up and looking great for it, I guess the mining money is kicking in for some areas after all.






Perhaps I spent too much time at the lookout and then Denham as when I got to Monkey Mia it was about 10:00am and the dolphins had already been in for feeding twice and they may or may not come in for a third feeding each day too. Actually I missed them by about 2 minutes as they were just swimming out as I got to the beach, it may of course be all the extra time it took driving in and losing speed as I was going uphills. Anyway I stayed waiting at the resort for a while in the hope that they may come back in though just after 11 i decided that it was going to be too late and I should get going as I would never reach Geraldton for the night otherwise. I only took a couple of pictures at Monkey Mia as there was little to see there other thank the small resort, actually the water there is a heck of a lot murkier than the pristine clear water at Denham. Noticed as sign on the way out that I have to say I was very tempting to follow just to find out, but the clutch and time was not on my side so I guess I may never know if it is true.

 Monkey Mia Resort



 Second time in two days we've done this it too

I wonder.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in the car driving and the closer I got to Geraldton the worse the weather became. The clutch as well was being a right worry too, the driving up and down the hills to get into the World Heritage area and then driving back out have not done the thing and favours. Finally reaching Geraldton it was dark and very wet, rain falling hard for a while, so I bailed on the tent idea and stayed in a motel for the night.

Tomorrow is Geraldton and then heading for Perth...

No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...