Wednesday 30 July 2014

28 Jul 2014

Well this one is going to end up being a short one as well, as there really isn't too much to tell when you're just in the car diving all day and there aren't many places to see or the scenery stays much the same the whole way. Started off relatively early, though the tent was wet so that took a bit extra time to sort out and pack away, then hit the road for the run across the Nullabor proper (the actual plain, not  just the road across the centre).



Ummmm there are some interesting signs, you don't really get anything else and, although it does happen in other areas, I still find the emergency landing strips for the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) fun.



Piano Keys marking the end of a landing strip section of the highway

Crossed the border into South Australia in the afternoon and I guess it was another milestone as the Count has never been there before, so now it has officially been to every state and territory in Australia, ok Tasmania wasn't on this trip around, but we have both been there before, back in 1993, as I have mentioned before somewhere.



Oh and along the way there are three lookouts, though they aren't billed as such, they just have a little picture of a camera on a sign. The first one, well there third one as I was doing them from west to east and they are numbered the other way, I didn't stop at as time was getting on and I wanted to be somewhere to sleep for the night before it got dark, so I didn't have to put the tent up by headlight (yes singular), well the other reason is that those pesky free camping grey nomads had again set up a small village and were blocking most of the area. The second and third ones I thought Oh heck I guess I had better go and see just in case and two pluses, the view was definitely well worth stopping for and the car park was completely empty, YAH! It was starting to get late as when night falls here it drops like a stone, but the edge of Australia it sure is, so well worth the time, and the skies were just amazing with all the clouds and light seeming to come from one point just below the horizon (last pic shows it best)





So at this stage I was basically running late and it was really starting to get dark, though the setting sun was making for a great colour show in the clouds, I am not sure why I thought of it but about 15 kilometres from the Nullabor Roadhouse (there are no towns out there) I had a quick look over my shoulder and then hit the brakes and pulled over, late I would be though it was well worth it I think, if only the picture could do the actual event justice, the colours were just incredible and the way the light played through the cloud formations amazing!


I reached the roadhouse and it was dark, and not really wanting to set up the damp tent in the dark I opted for a "Backpackers" room, was probably more expensive than any backpackers I have ever stayed at, but i have to say for the ease and not having to set the tent up and having a real bed, well worth it.

More driving tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...