Sunday 8 June 2014

8 June 2014

Today was another long one in the car and a few stops for stretching. It started reasonably early and it was down to town to take some pictures along the river and main street. It was a great morning, beautiful weather and great sunlight. Mind I am not sure I made the best use of it, but you have to have a go don't you.Then it was on the road again with the goal of reaching Gympie for the evening, which I might add was achieved by 5 pm so not a bad run at all.

From St George to Dalby is 303km and there are only two tiny towns on the way through, Westmar and Moonie. There appeared to be not much at Westmar, a shop/fuel store/accommodation facility and a school. Moonie is slightly bigger with a much newer feel, so probably the new purpose built 24 hour fuel station with take away and dining room, not to mention the 24 hour access accommodation as well, probably helped with that feeling, some other bits there but not a whole lot.

I had a very brief walk about in Dalby and stopped into the tourist office to look at some brochures. It seem quite a deal larger than I remember and it was nice to see so many people enjoying the park on a Sunday afternoon. From there it was off again and I took the road that takes you over the Bunya Mountain, wow what a drive. You know you're in for something when there is a big sign saying not to proceed if you have a bus, truck or caravan. As a Morris Minor doesn't count as any of those I was ok to proceed. Steep it most certainly is both up and down, though I am glad I was going from Dalby side to Nanango side as I am not too sure the brakes would have held out going the other way, well I mean heat fade not total fail. Going up I was mostly in second gear as nothing else was going to cut it basically. The people at the places I passed along the way all seemed rather surprised to see a Morris going by, I guess it doesn't happen often. I did make a video of the climb, but have yet to find it, edit and convert that so will have to add it to this once it is done. Going down was not so steep for the most part, though there were a couple of sections that were third gear and stand on the brakes.

Video to come if I can find it

I must say though the Count did exceptionally well and there was never any real trouble. Mind no one signed me up for the gravel sections on the other side! I mean who has a fully sealed road with a couple of kilometres in the middle still gravel anyway. The road eventually drops you on the highway to Nanango and then through Goomeri (where they have the pumpkin rolling competition at the end of May, different) and Kilkivan. I avoided the Bruce highway all together and thus took a side route into Gympie by turning off the Wide Bay-Burnett Highway through Widgee, now that it is all sealed (though still narrow in some places) it is a much better alternative when you're heading for Southside that trying to avoid the big trucks on the Bruce. I am visiting with my dad for the next couple of nights, so tomorrow is a rest day for both myself and the Count as well, YAH!

No papmered trailer dweller here, when the Count goes somewhere it drives there.
May just need to clean the bugs out though 

 The Australian Hotel, St George

 Streetview, St George

Main Street (Victoria St), St George

The Balonne River, St George - Seems to flood a bit look at the height of the post.

Just to clarify what it says

No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...