Tuesday 10 June 2014

10 June 2014

Well here I am in Biloela in Queensland, it's about a 400 kilometre drive from Gympie of last night so not a massive distance which is great for a bit of a break. It's an interesting town with sort of two main streets that are off the main road through the town connecting highways in various directions. Interesting to visit and glad I have seen it. Have met some nice people here who have been happy to have a chat about about all sorts, though mostly how mad I am driving solo around Australia in a Morrie.

Monto was an interesting little town and Gayndah as well, both look quite attractive places. I didn't stop in Gayndah as it was just a mad house of vehicles and the "Grey Nomads" must really love it there as the place was packed, any pictures of the main street would have been nothing but the tail lights of cars lining the street. Monto was a nice place, had a nice feel to it, very slow and not much happening at the time I was there but that added to it. I did stop in Monto as there was not masses of caravans about so there are some pictures of there below. Additionally passed through Eidsvold, very sleepy little place with not much seeming to be happening or open, but there is a huge new R.M. Williams Learning Centre at the edge of town as he used to live there and one of his sons still runs the property there. Seems such a strange place as it is so big and purpose built as a function centre/Museum that you wouldn't imagine they could fill it regularly, though it was in use today so maybe it is a busy place after all.

Off to Emerald tomorrow which is only about 350 kilometres away from Biloela, so may just end up heading to Clermont instead as I will have to go there anyway for the run to the coast at Mackay the day after. Depends on what I find at Emerald as I go I guess. It will be interesting to see the changes in Mackay though as it has been quite a few years since I was last there, so I imagine it has changed lots.

 Oh I forgot I went through Mulgildie as well, very small place

 This is the Mulgildie Bunyip

The town and the Bunyips' story

The main street of Monto

 and again from the other side of the road

 Memorial to the first Doctor in Monto, she arrived in 1923 and used a sulky to get to her patients


Oh, we're in the Banana Shire too! 

 Camping at Biloela (well at a caravan park, does that count?)

Lamp, cooker, dinner, tent and car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...