Saturday 7 June 2014

7 June 2014

Well today was another long day on the road. Started with a random grey nomad deciding to not see the Count and turn his 4x4 and 25 foot caravan across the highway to get to the petrol station. Thankfully I managed to miss him, though not really sure how, and didn't even toot and swear at him either.

The area on the east side of Bourke is more what I expected the area on the west side to have looked like I have decided. The west side was lots of trees and vast paddocks with mostly pale green, quite long grass, which I did not expect at all. The area on the east side heading for Walgett is much more what I was expecting, still lots of trees, but everything was dry and there was almost no grass anywhere, much like this

It really is amazing how someone first  came to the area and though "Great look how barren and harsh the land is here, I know I'll buy it and raise livestock". I know I am missing something, I think it would be a hard life waiting for the rain.

Walgett was a nice looking little town, looks farly sleepy on a Saturday morning though was nice to see. Had a chat with a nice fella at the petrol station, isn't it amazing how people want to talk to you when an old car is around, about a old Hillman Hawk that he once had, which I have just looked up on the net as I didn't even realise they had made one, back in the mid 30's it seems, would certainly be a nice car to have still. He also had restored a Armstrong Siddley "Sapphire", which someone bought and exported to Belgium, so it must have been amazing.


Main Street Walgett

Then it was on to Lightening Ridge for a brief visit and look. Strange thing is that I reminded me of Byron Bay of some years back before it got mega trendy, obviously without the sea or any water for the matter really. It was very eclectic, lots of different types of people and lots of different types of building styles. Surprisingly, well to me, there were many cafes and most of them were open even on a nearly Saturday afternoon, actually the place seemed to be very busy with people everywhere, the tourist trade seems to be a big winner. Though other than the cafes and the mine tours and opal shops there didn't seem that much to do. Actually I was surprised on going to the Tourist Information office to see a brochure for Canberra in the line up. I think the pick of the place would have to have been the Waffle, Pan Cake and Ice-cream van!


Driving through Lightening Ridge

Now today I was thinking I would head for and stay at Hebel, not knowing anything about it, it just seemed like the right amount of driving for a day. Hebel is a very small town not all that far from the New South Wales border on the Castlereigh Highway. It has a population (well it and the surrounding area), according to a 2006 census of 149 people, so you get the idea of how big it is going to be., and no they don't make Hebel bricks at Hebel. Given the size of the place and that it was still relatively early in the day I opted to drive on and found myself 291 kilometres later at St George, which is really a very nice looking small town on the banks of the Balonne River, though as it was getting dark when I arrived I shall have to try and get some pictures tomorrow morning.

Main Street - Hebel


Random Pictures follow

 Looking back towards Bourke in the distance
(probably look better once it's been photoshopped)

 Is there a collective noun for a gathering of grey nomads in the middle of nowhere?

 It's art by the highway don't you know!

 This is Stanley. If you need scale for it to appreciate it, then the body of the "emu" is actually....
 a Volkswagen Beetle!

 Really does no need to "explain" art? Yes it seems!

 This may just be the turn for Lightening Ridge, just might.

Finally, just crossing the border into Queensland, only 4 kilometers until Hebel

2 comments:

  1. Why are all the power towers bent? Is it the heat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a design feature to make them look pretty.

    Either that or the fish-eye lens on the camera

    ReplyDelete

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...