Thursday 26 June 2014

24 June 2014

Firstly apologies for the delay in getting further updates done, to say there has been a lack of internet and phone connectivity in a lot of areas would be an understatement. Looks like unless you are with Telstra there are quite a number of no go areas throughout Australia, quite the monopoly Telstra have, and despite this, or probably because of it, most of the people I have talked to absolutely hate them and their "customer Service". I guess when you don't have competition you can do what you like.

Anyway, Normanton to Cloncurry, 382km, what can I say really, it was a long drive I think I may have passed about a dozen vehicles in the whole distance and maybe was over taken by about half that. I must say that thankfully so far the only Road Trains I have experienced have been going the opposite direction and so have not been an issue.

As I said, what can I say, this is basically the view all the way down

Welcome to Woop Woop




The only stop / place along the way really is the Burke and Wills Roadhouse, and you know it is the only place along the way when the usual kilometre signs along the way identify the next place as the roadhouse, rather than a town! More frustrating for everyone I am sure is that out of all the fuel pumps they have, all of the deisel pumps in the main station were out, only the single truck pump was working and the vehicles were lining up. No problem at all with petrol though!



Cloncurry seems to be a larger than usual small town, though I am not sure that it is entirely successful, there seem to be a lot of empty shops but the air of the place seems to be happy enough. It is a bit of a regional hub and they are right on one of the main tourist routes, so things seem to be ticking along for them. First stop for me was to the tourist information office, where they have a memorial park for Mary Kathleen, who is not a person, it was actually a uranium mine and town up the road from here between Cloncurry and Mt Isa. Supposedly when it was closed for the final time all of the towns buildings were sold off and transported far and wide around the country. I am not sure what is left there now, but I will probably have a look when passing by.

 Arriving at the Tourist office and Mary Kathleen Memorial Park

 Not really a whole lot to remember at the park


 Overlooking Cloncurry

 Council buildings

Main street, the Highway east and west 

Next update will be for Winton which is well out of the way and almost backtracking in the scheme of things and then I will try and get all the other updates done up to today so that everything is up to date again. Hopefully there will be internet service, with my provider, at the next town...

No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...