Tuesday 17 October 2023

18 Oct 2023

Well it's been a while between trips and posts so it's about time for a bit of a road trip. Over three days 18, 19, 20 Oct 2023 we'll be traveling around Western Victoria to see all of the Silo Art. I have planned a route for the best fit for me using the Australia Silo Art Trail site, though it does seem to be not entirely up to date it is the best source of data for the run. I am not using the suggested starting point as I think I have a better plan in mind, though to be honest, just because it makes sense to me does not mean it is sensible. Anyway...

Day One - 18 Oct 2023.

Started out relatively early, 5:30am, as I wanted to get underway and hopefully try to minimise the amount of traffic and trucks that I might encounter (only to minimise the disruption to them by my travelling at only 80km/h). This of course only worked well while I was on the dual-lane roads, once it was back on the two-way highway roads the trucks were a concern. The emergency lane sides of these highway stretches are quite wide though so it was easy enough to pull over into the lane and let the trucks go by. It is certainly much more relaxing driving on the quiet country roads off the highways though.

Anyway as stated I had made up a route plan for my trip and then suitably left the written version at home and the mobile didn't connect when I felt that I may have gone astray, oh well no matter. I did go the wrong way but that was okay as I saw more of the area and it was only about another 50-80 kilometres anyway, so no great concern at all.

The route today took in Charlton, Wycheproof (and at this stage, I went the wrong way), Nullawil, Sea Lake and then backtrack along an awesome back country road to Birchip, Woomelang, Lascelles, through Speed and to the day stop at Ouyen.

Nullawil Silo Art Featuring Jimmy the Kelpie, painted by Sam Bates (Smug)

Sea Lake Silo Art, Titled the Space in Between, painted by The Zookeeper and DRAPL

Birchip's Big Mallee Bull


There  are a few murals to be seen around the small town, though no Silo Art in town 


Woomelang has 7 painted mini Silos around town, unfortunately, I only saw two.

Lascelles Silo Art - painted by Rone, featuring Geoff Horman

Lascelles Silo Art - painted by Rone, featuring Merrilyn Horman 

Hotel Victoria at Ouyen



No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...