Tuesday 19 November 2013

November Part 2

Well the good news is that I am off to visit the family for a long weekend at the start of December and as such that will involve being in the same place as the Count for the same length of time. Whilst I know that it really isn’t all that long of a break, as I don’t sleep much and as there is electricity in the garage (read: this means there are lights as opposed to the single dim bulb in the machinery shed it used to reside in!) so I should be able to get some decent family time in and also get some work done on the car as well. 
 So far I have the wheels booked in for new set of Nankang 155/80 R14 on the Saturday, so I will have to find/borrow/hire 4 axel stands so that I can get all the wheels off at once to get them into the tyre shop. I have also sourced and should have in the next couple of days the correct (so I am told) type of inner tube to install in the tyres, as the original Morris rims don’t have a beaded edge to seal the radial tyres against properly. 
Further I have purchased a brand spanking new radiator that should be on it’s was to location by Friday this week so will be waiting ready when I get there. Plan of attack will then have to be get a level to check if the wheels are straight or if they are toe-ing in, then get the Count onto the 4 axel stands and all the wheels off and cleaned up a wee bit so they aren’t too messy for the installation of tyres on Saturday morning. While the wheels are all off, if necessary, install the spacing washers on the eye bolt to true the wheels back to straight. Then it is replace all of the brake slaves, front and back, and the master cylinder, fill and bleed the system and adjust the hand brake and refit the wheels. Next is to drain the coolant, flush some fresh water through the system and whip the old radiator out and while I am at it and as I have a new one, remove and replace the water pump, drop a new fan belt in and then fit the new radiator. 
At this stage best bet will be to remove the heater core and also remove the 1000/Mini heater tap, flush through the heater core and if it is ok refit (if not ok then bypass till later), mount the correct type brass screw heater tap and then fill with coolant. From that point it will be best to fit the new locking petrol cap, which is a shame as I like the wee chrome original cap, fill the petrol tank with fresh fuel and then I should be well out of time and be on a flight back home. 
I think I will take the voltmeter with me so that I can see that the alternator is still producing power and I will need to make sure all the lights are working and shining and flashing as they need to be. The current train of thought is that I will head beck to Queensland later in January (due to school holidays and high airfares) and then I will drive the Count back to Melbourne, via the Wide Bay - Burnett, Newell, Olympic and Hume highways, already comprehensively insured as it will be, with a unregistered vehicle permit and compulsory third party. 
I am sure it will be interesting to see (1) if the car makes it, though I see no reason why it wouldn’t, (2) how many times I get pulled over for not having any number plates, hopefully none. I guess one thing I should not have to worry about is getting stopped for speeding! As a result of all this there will be pictures to follow of the work done and then of the trip down to Melbourne in the relatively near future. Actually quite looking forward to getting some work done and getting the car down to Melbourne, finally going to be getting somewhere with it and getting it ready for it’s trip around Australia.

Hopefully will be back to looking this good in the near future


No comments:

Post a Comment

16 April 2024

 Well, it's been a while between posts, with not a great deal happening between them, though that is the way of it sometimes. There are ...